Nomination ‘withdrawal’ by two LG poll candidates shocks PTI
LAHORE: The Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf suffered a major blow on Saturday as its three candidates for union council chairman and vice-chairman slots `withdrew’ their nomination papers allegedly under PML-N pressure.
The development came as a shock for PTI leadership as it remained clueless about the pressure that was allegedly being faced by the party candidates. As a result PML-N’s Khwaja Ahmad Hassaan and Jaffar Husain were elected unopposed as UC-107 chairman and vice-chairman, respectively.
The PTI had not fielded covering candidates in the constituency for the upcoming local government elections. Similarly, PML-N’s Haji Jamil won UC-263 chairman slot following withdrawal of nomination papers by PTI’s Malik Sajjad.
The party alleges coercion by PML-N
It is learnt that Khawaja Hassaan is also PML-N’s candidate for Lahore Mayor slot.
It is alleged that the PML-N men detained PTI’s chairman candidate Nawaz Chaudhry at MNA Mehr Ishtiaq’s residence, while vice-chairman candidate Rana Asghar movement was restricted to his residence.
The both candidates were allegedly pressurised to sign their nomination withdrawal papers. Eventually their papers were withdrawn without their personal appearance before the returning officer.
PTI Punjab Organiser Chaudhry Sarwar has sought a detailed report about the episode from Lahore organiser Shafqat Mahmood, while Opposition Leader in the Punjab Assembly, Mian Mahmoodur Rasheed, announced moving the Lahore High Court on Monday (tomorrow) on the issue.
The opposition leader confirmed that the party’s candidates -- Nawaz Chaudhry and Rana Asghar -- were detained by the PML-N and their mobile phones were `confiscated’ so that they could not contact PTI leadership.
Mr Rasheed said the PML-N’s two “squads” continued to pressurise the party’s candidates at their residences till early Saturday.
He said Nawaz Chaudhry was escorted to MNA Mehr Ishtiaq’s residence, where his close relatives as well as PML-N candidate Khwaja Hassaan were already present. He said Chaudhry claimed that he was told that PTI vice-chairman candidate had already withdrawn his papers and he would not be able to contest the election even if he did not sign his withdrawal papers.
Mr Rasheed said the candidates told him they were were allowed to leave only signing their nomination withdrawal papers at around 12noon. “Both the candidates did not appear personally to withdraw their nomination papers,” he told Dawn.
Mr Rasheed also asked the Election Commission of Pakistan to take notice of the PML-N’s “pressure tactics” and allow PTI’s candidates to contest the elections.
Mr Rasheed admitted the PTI had not fielded any covering candidate in the UC-107. He alleged the PML-N goons had also not allowed any other party to field its candidates in the constituency. “Many candidates continued visiting the Town Hall, but they were told that the nominate forms were not available,” he alleged.
He dared Mr Hassaan to show moral courage and contest the election. He said the PTI would not allow the PML-N to rig the local government elections.
Meanwhile, at an emergency news conference, Nawaz Chaudhry and Rana Asghar flanked Mr Rasheed and reiterated the allegations of coercion by PML-N men. They said they were still with the PTI and would continue fighting for people’s cause under the leadership of Imran Khan.
It is learnt that PTI Punjab organiser Chaudhry Sarwar also discussed the issue with deputy organiser Sibtain Khan, Mahmoodur Rasheed, Shafqat Mahmood and Zaheer Abbas Khokhar at an emergent meeting, where he asked them why no covering candidates were fielded in the constituency.
Punjab government spokesman Zaeem Qadri, Khwaja Hassan and Mehr Ishtiaq could not be contacted despite several phone calls on their mobile phones.
Published in Dawn, September 13th, 2015
On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play