Donald Trump wants another Open Championship to be played at his Turnberry golf resort in Scotland, but organizers are adamant that his course will not be considered while it's owned by him, the Daily Telegraph reported Wednesday.
Sources told the newspaper Trump's course is likely to be rejected due to his actions on Jan. 6, 2021.
Earlier this month, Trump said he had “spent a tremendous amount of money” redeveloping the course following advice from Peter Dawson, the former chief executive of The R&A which runs the Open.
“It was done with a great architect,” he said. “A great golf architect recommended by Peter Dawson.... I said, give me the best one, and Martin Grant Hawtree… He’s a fabulous guy, a fabulous man.... What he does is this type of course, he really did a great job.”
“We’re going to make a couple of little minor adjustments but it’s fantastic. Everybody wants to see the Open Championship here – the players, it’s their favourite course, it’s the number-one rated in Europe," Trump said.
The R&A’s chief executive, Martin Slumbers, said in January, 2021, that he had “had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future." Three years later, the organization's stance has remained unchanged.
“We have no plans to stage any of our championships there in the foreseeable future and will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself,” a source told the Telegraph.
“The way it looks now, he would have to sell up before anything changes," another source said.